God Promises Earthly Victory BEFORE the Eternal State…
- A child born of Eve’s “seed” shall “crush” the head of the Serpent (Genesis 3:15).
- God will bless “all the families of the earth…” through Abraham and his descendants, (Genesis 12:3).
- Psalm 2:1ff God governs the Nations RIGHT NOW through His Anointed and laughs at all the foolish conspiracies of wicked men!
- Psalm 22:1ff “all the ends of the earth will remember and turn to the Lord and all the families of the nations will worship before Thee…”
- Psalm 72;1FF The Messiah’s name will not only endure, but increase as long as the “sun shines” and that the whole earth will be “full of His glory” (verses 17-19). All nations and all kings WILL bow down and serve Him (72:11).
- Isaiah 2:2-4, In the “last days” All the peoples of the earth will not just KNOW about His Kingdom, but will submit themselves to His righteous rule, destroying their weapons, “never again will they learn war.”
- Isaiah 65:17ff, In a time BEFORE the eternal state (there is still childbirth, marriage and death) the whole earth will be full of His glory, with peace and blessing for all: “the lion will lie down with the lamb” and no one will do evil in the world (65:25).
- Daniel 2:44ff, God will set up a Kingdom which will never be destroyed; it will crush and put an end to all other kingdoms but will itself endure forever
- Matthew 3:2 John the Baptizer announced that this Kingdom was “at hand.”
- Matthew 12:28 Jesus proclaimed that this Kingdom has now “come among you.”
- Matthew 16:19, The Lord Jesus gives the “keys” to this Kingdom to the Apostolic Messengers.
- Matthew 28:19, after His resurrection, but before His ascension, the Lord Jesus announces that “all authority” has been given to Him, both in heaven and on earth
- 1 Corinthians 15:25, Hebrews 1:13, the Lord Jesus reigns over the earth and must continue to reign until “all His enemies are placed under His feet.”
- Matthew 28:19-20, the Lord Jesus commands His people to “disciple the nations” teaching them to submit to the reign of King Jesus
- Philippians 2:9-11, God has exalted the name of Jesus and commands that “every knee should bow, of those who are in heaven, and on the earth and under the earth and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father…”
- Conclusion; the promises of God in the Old Testament are BEING fulfilled right now, in time, not just the future. We therefore ought to expect the Kingdom of God, though troubled, persecuted and infiltrated by the Enemy, to prosper and be victorious in the world, BEFORE the eternal state!
But What About All Those Prophecies About Apostasy in the “Last Days?”
The most basic principle of Biblical interpretation is that the meaning of any passage of Scripture is what the original author intended the original audience to understand by what He wrote. Every single instance of the phrase “the last days” was written, in context, to real people, facing real problems in the first century church.
Why would God warn the people of Jerusalem, Rome, Ephesus, Corinth, Asia Minor, etc., about something that would happen two thousand or MORE years AFTER their time?
The phrase “last days” is better understood as referring to the time between the ascension of the Lord Jesus, and His judgment on the nation of Israel in 70 AD
And when we actually READ the New Testament, we find that there were heretics, apostates, and other wicked men who attempted to destroy the church.
Yet, God conquered the Roman Empire, evangelized the pagan world, and built Western Civilization through the preaching of His gospel. Furthermore, the Christian church is growing at a rate of 8% per year. Within ONE generation, God COULD win the entire world to faith in His Son Jesus. He has promised us victory, He has granted us victory in the past and therefore we WILL have victory over the world.