The Woman as Wife
- Women share equality of honor with men, but have different functions: “..and grant her honor as a fellow heir of the grace of life…” (1 Peter 3:7).
- God intends most women to be married: “Then the Lord God said, ’It is not good for the man to be alone; I will make him a helper, suitable for him.” (Gen 2:18).
- The woman is to cling to her husband, forsaking all others; “and they shall become one flesh.” (Gen 2:24).
- The woman must be willing to submit to her husband’s leadership: “…but as the church is subject to Christ, so also the wives ought to be to their husbands in everything.” (Eph 5:19ff).
- The woman must learn to “love” her role as wife and mother and be trained in it; “Older women likewise [must] train the young women to love their husbands, to love their children… (Ti 2:2-4).
- Most women will find their calling in the home; “…workers at home, subject to their own husbands, that the Word of God may not be dishonored (Titus 2:5)
- The woman must win over even an erring husband through her gentle and quiet demeanor “In the same way, you wives be submissive to your own husbands so that even if any of them are disobedient to the word, they may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior…” (1 Ptr 3:1-2).
- The woman has a duty to be sexually intimate with her husband: “Let the husband fulfill his duty to his wife and likewise, also the wife to her husband. The wife does not have authority over her own body, but the husband does; and likewise also the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Stop depriving one another, except by agreement for a time that you may devote yourselves to prayer and come together again lest Satan tempt you because of your lack of self-control (1 Cor 7:3-5).
- Women may work outside the home to help the family financially: “…she considers a field and buys it, from her earnings she plants a vineyard… she makes linen garments and sells them and supplies belts to the tradesmen…” (Pvbs 31:1, 16, 24).
The Woman As Mother
- The woman must (in so far as God gives grace) bring a godly seed to fruit; “Be fruitful and multiply, fill the earth and subdue it” (Gen 1:28).
- The woman has an important role in the spiritual training of her children; “For I am mindful of the sincere faith within you, which first dwelt in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and I am sure that it is in you as well” (2 Tim 1:5).
- For most women, caring for their husbands and children will be their primary calling in life: “An excellent wife, who can find, for her worth is far above jewels. The heart of her husband trusts in her.. Her children rise up and bless her…” (Pvbs 31:1, 28).
The Woman in Church
- Women may not preach, teach or exercise authority over men in the church; “Let a woman quietly receive instruction with entire submissiveness. But I do not allow a woman to teach or exercise authority over a man, but to remain quiet” (1 Tim 2:11-12).
- Women must not speak in the public assembly; “Let the women keep silent in the churches for they are not permitted to speak but let them subject themselves just as the Law also says” (1 Cor 14:34)
- The woman must look to her husband for spiritual leadership; “And if they desire to learn anything, let them ask their own husbands at home; for it is improper for a woman to speak in church…” (1 Cor 14:35).
- Women may serve the church in other ways; “…having a reputation for good works; and if she has brought up children, if she has shown hospitality to strangers, if she has washed the saints’ feet, if she has assisted those in distress and if she has devoted herself to every good work” (1 Tim 5:10)